If you are a custom ROM enthusiast and love installing custom ROMs on your device, then you may have heard about OmniROM for sure. OmniROM is pretty new and maintained by developers who were once part of the CyanogenMod team. Nightly build for many devices have already been out and if you own one of the supported devices, you can try them on your device. Today we will talk about how to flash or install OmniROM Android 4.4.1 on Google Nexus 4.
- Custom recovery must be installed on your Google Nexus 4 like ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery. If you don’t have any of the two custom recoveries installed, you can install them easily. Just Google about it or search on XDA.
Files needed for Installation
You need to download the files needed for the installation. The two zip files that are needed are, first the omniROM flashable zip and second the Google apps zip file for Android 4.4.
Download these files using the links below and save it at a convenient location on Nexus 4 as you need to select this zip file inside the custom recovery to flash them.
- Nightly build of Omni ROM (the custom ROM flashable zip, download the latest file)
- PA’s Gapps (Goole Apps zip file)
- SuperSU (File needed to root your nexus 4 after installing omniROM)
How to OmniROM Android 4.4.1 kitkat on Google Nexus 4
- Boot phone into recovery Mode using your existing ROM power option with Power button (if it has) or by holding VOL DOWN + POWER keys simultaneously.
- Inside the TWRP or CWM recovery, clear user Data/factory reset>> Clear/wipe Cache >> clear Dalvik Cache. Dalvik cache option can be found under advance options in CWM recovery.
- After this choose install zip from SDcard option.
- Select the ROM Zip file (the same file that you just downloaded from the link above) to flash. ROM will begin to install.
- After few minutes, the installation will be finished. Once installed press the back button few times to go back to the main screen of Recovery.
- Now flash the Google Apps file.
- Reboot your phone and enjoy OmniROM with Android 4.4.1.
- If you want root access, just flash the SuperSU zip file by rebooting into the recovery again.
Features of OmniROM:
- Incoming call: the non-intrusive way
- DSP Manager Enhancements
- Active Display
- control per-app permissions
We created a small video for the additional features available with the ROM. Checkout the YouTube video below for details.
I am using the latest nightly build of this ROM on my Nexus 4 as the primary and daily driver ROM.It is pretty stable and smooth with almost everything working pretty well. Even the biggest problem of any smartphone i.e battery life seems much better compared to stock ROM & battery lasts for more than one day for me with pretty heavy usage. In terms of screen time, I am easily getting a 5+ hours screen time with the ROM.
We would love to hear some feedback from you if you plan to install it on your Nexus. Share it below as comments or ask us if you face any issue.
Source: OmniROM XDA thread