But that doesn’t mean you can’t get the latest version on your device. We always have the option of installing a custom ROM.
Cyanogenmod 13 isn’t ready yet, and the majority of Marshmallow based custom ROMs do not work well on the Nexus 7 2012, because of incompatible GAPPS, and end up crashing upon booth with a “Setup wizard has stopped working” message. We have tried several ROMs with the same result, except for one, OctoOS Oct-M.
[su_note]Disclaimer: Androidpure is not responsible for any damage you incur. Always take a full backup of your data, before flashing ROMs. And DO NOT delete the internal storage of the device.[/su_note]
How to install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on the Nexus 7 2012: (with full working GAPPS)
- Download the OctoOS ROM from this page on XDA.
- Download the GAPPs linked in the thread, the nano version is just fine as it installs juts the Google Play Store.
- Copy both files to the tablet.
- Reboot to TWRP recovery (If you don’t have it, follow our guide to install it on the device).
- Tap on Wipe and select Data, Cache, Dalvik Cache and System.
- Go back to TWRP’s main menu, and tap on install.
- Select the ROM zip and then tap on add more zips, and select the GAPPs zip.
- Swipe to install the ROM.
- Wait for the process to complete, and reboot the system.
Congratulations, and enjoy Android 6.0 Marshmallow on your trusty old Nexus 7 2012. The ROM includes some special OctoOs Tweaks, and includes root support as well. (SuperSU)