Have a Nexus 7 2012? Google ended Os support for the tablet, with the release of Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
But that doesn’t mean you can’t get the latest version on your device. We always have the option of installing a custom ROM.
Cyanogenmod 13 isn’t ready yet, and the majority of Marshmallow based custom ROMs do not work well on the Nexus 7 2012, because of incompatible GAPPS, and end up crashing upon booth with a “Setup wizard has stopped working” message. We have tried several ROMs with the same result, except for one, OctoOS Oct-M.
[su_note]Disclaimer: Androidpure is not responsible for any damage you incur. Always take a full backup of your data, before flashing ROMs. And DO NOT delete the internal storage of the device.[/su_note]
How to install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on the Nexus 7 2012: (with full working GAPPS)
- Download the OctoOS ROM from this page on XDA.
- Download the GAPPs linked in the thread, the nano version is just fine as it installs juts the Google Play Store.
- Copy both files to the tablet.
- Reboot to TWRP recovery (If you don’t have it, follow our guide to install it on the device).
- Tap on Wipe and select Data, Cache, Dalvik Cache and System.
- Go back to TWRP’s main menu, and tap on install.
- Select the ROM zip and then tap on add more zips, and select the GAPPs zip.
- Swipe to install the ROM.
- Wait for the process to complete, and reboot the system.
Congratulations, and enjoy Android 6.0 Marshmallow on your trusty old Nexus 7 2012. The ROM includes some special OctoOs Tweaks, and includes root support as well. (SuperSU)