Xiaomi’s sub-brand, Redmi, has launched its 2021 flagship phones in China. Say hello to the Redmi K40, K40 Pro and K40 Pro+.
The devices share many specs. The Redmi K40 series are equipped with a 6.67-inch E4 AMOLED Full HD+ with 120Hz refresh rate, HDR10+, 8,192and a 20MP punch-hole selfie camera.
The Redmi K40 is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 870 processor, with 6GB/8GB of LPDDR5 RAM. The Redmi K40 Pro and Pro+ are powered by Qualcomm’s latest Snapdragon 888 processor with 8GB/12GB of LPDDR5 RAM. All three models will be available in 128GB/256GB storage variants with UFS 3.1 technology.
The phones run on Android 11 with MIUI 12, and are backed by a 4,520mAh battery that charges over a USB Type-C port, that can top up the phone from 0 to 100% in 52 minutes, thanks to the 33W fast charging. The Redmi K40 does not have a 3.5mm headphone jack, and instead relies on the USB Type-C port for audio, data tranfers, and charging. Another similarity between the three phones is that they have a side-mounted fingerprint scanner.
The camera department is where the phones differ greatly. The Redmi K40 sports a 48MP Sony IMX582 sensor with an f/1.79 aperture, an 8MP, 119° FOV ultra-wide angle lens that has an f/2.4 aperture, a 5MP telemacro lens with an f/2.4 aperture and an LED flash. The Redmi K40 Pro features a 64MP Sony IMX686 sensor with an f/1.89 aperture, while the other two cameras remain the same.
The Redmi K40 Pro+has the same ultra-wide angle and telemacro cameras, but the primary sensor is a 108MP Samsung ISOCELL HM2 lens with an, f/1.75 aperture.
Redmi K40 series specs
- Display: 6.67-inches E4 AMOLED Full HD+ (2400 x 1080 pixels), 120Hz refresh rate, 5,000,000:1 contrast ratio, Corning Gorilla Glass 5, 1300 nits, HDR10+, 360Hz Touch Sampling Rate
- Operating System: Android 11 with MIUI 12
- Processor: Redmi K40 – Qualcomm Snapdragon/Adreno 650, Redmi K40 Pro/Pro+ – Qualcomm Snapgrdon 888/Adreno 660
- Memory: 6GB/8GB LPPDDR5 RAM, Pro – 8GB/12GB LPDDR5 RAM
- Storage: 128GB/256GB UFS 3.1
Selfie Camera: 20MP, f/2.4 aperture
- Main Cameras: Redmi K40 – 48MP, Sony IMX582 sensor, f/1.79 aperture + 8MP, 119° FOV ultra-wide angle, f/2.4 aperture + 5MP telemacro, f/2.4 aperture + LED flash
- Redmi K40 Pro – 64MP Sony IMX686, f/1.89 aperture, + 8MP, 119° FOV ultra-wide angle, f/2.2 aperture + 5MP telemacro, f/2.4 aperture + LED flash
- Redmi K40 Pro+ -108MP Samsung ISOCELL HM2, f/1.75 aperture, + 8MP, 119° FOV ultra-wide angle, f/2.2 aperture + 5MP telemacro, f/2.4 aperture +LED flash
- Battery: 4520mAh, 33W fast charging, USB Type-C
- Security: Side-mounted fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- Connectivity: 5G (bands: n1 / n3 / n28A / n41 / n77 / n78) Dual SIM, 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6, 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.1/5.2, BFC Beidou, Galileo, GPS, NavIC, A-GPS/GLONASS/BDS, Infrared sensor, Dolby Atmos, Dual Speakers, Hi-Res Audio
- Sensors: Ultrasonic Distance Sensor, 360° Ambient Light Sensor, Acceleration Sensor, Gyroscope, Electronic Compass, X-axis Linear Motor,Color Temperature Sensor, Barometer
- Dimensions: 163.7x 76.4 x 7.8mm
- Weight: 196g
Redmi K40 series prices
The Redmi K40 price starts at RMB 1999 (about Rs. 23,000) in China for the 6GB/128 variant, the 8GB/128GB version has been priced at RMB 2199 (about Rs. 25,000), while the 8GB/256GB model costs RMB 2499 (about Rs. 28,000). The 12GB/256GB variant carries a price tag of RMB 2699 yuan (about Rs. 30,000).
The price of the Redmi K40 Pro starts at RMB 2799 yuan (about Rs. 31,000) for the 6GB/128GB variant, you can shell out RMB 2999 (about Rs. 33,000), while the top end version with 8GB/256GB costs RMB 3299 (about Rs. 37,000). The Redmi K40 Pro+ comes in a single version with 12GB/128GB, and it has been priced at RMB 3699 yuan (about Rs. 41,000).