Xiaomi has just launched a new entry-level smartphone Redmi Y1 targetted at consumers obsessed with selfies by offering a 16 MP front shooterwith LED flash. With Redmi Y1, Xiaomi is bound to give tough competition to brands such as Oppo and Vivo who sell devices with similar features at much higher prices compared to Redmi Y1.
Redmi Y1 sports a 5.5-inch 720p HD 2.5D curved glass display along with Corning Gorilla Glass protection, powered by 1.4GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 435 Mobile Platform. There are two variants of Redmi Y1 based on RAM and Storage combinations i.e. 3GB RAM + 32GB ROM and 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM. It runs on Android 7.1.2 (Nougat) based operating system with MIUI 8 on top of it and is upgradable to MIUI 9 later on.
In terms of camera, it features a 16MP front shooter with LED flash, OmniVision sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 76.4-degree wide-angle lens for selfies & Video calls and another 13MP main rear camera with LED Flash, f/2.2 aperture, PDAF. Redmi Y1 is backed by 3080mAh battery but without fast charge support. It is just 7.7mm thick and weighs 153 grams. The fingerprint sensor is placed on the rear panel while physical navigation buttons are on front.
Xiaomi Redmi Y1 specifications
- Display: 5.5-inch (1280 x 720 pixels) HD 2.5D curved glass display, Corning Gorilla Glass protection
- CPU: 1.4GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 435 Mobile Platform
- GPU: Adreno 505
- RAM: 3GB / 4GB
- Storage: 32GB / 64GB storage, expandable up to 128GB with microSD
- OS: Android 7.1.2 (Nougat) with MIUI 8, upgradable to MIUI 9
- Misc: Dual SIM, Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- Front Cmaera: 16MP with LED flash, OmniVision sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 76.4-degree wide-angle lens
- Main Rear Camera: 13MP with LED Flash, f/2.2 aperture, PDAF
- Dimensions: 153× 76.2 × 7.7mm
- Weight: 153g
- onnectivity: 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS / GLOASS
- Battery: 3080mAh
Xiaomi Redmi Y1 will be available in Gold and Dark Gray color options. It is priced at Rs. 8,999 (~$140) for the 3GB RAM + 32GB ROM variant and Rs. 9,999 (~$155) for the 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM variant. It will be available exclusively on Amazon.in as well as Mi.com from November 8th.