ASUS has unveiled the watch awaited Zenwatch at the IFA 2014 trade show, in Berlin.
It uses 2.5D Curved Gorilla Glass 3 for the display, and runs on Android Wear. The Zenwatch is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor clocked at 1.2GHz, and has 512 MB of RAM. It has 4 GB of internal storage, and a 1.4Wh battery. The watch will be compatible with phones running Android 4.3, and will connect to the same using Bluetooth 4.0. The strap is made of stitched-leather.
In addition to Voice Commands which most Android Wear watches rely on, the Zenwatch has been optimized to work with touch controls as well. The watch has a slew of features from ASUS’s proprietary ZenUI, which we have seen in the Zenfones. You will need to install the ASUS ZenWatch Manager on your phone to pair it with the watch. It will have instantly-changeable software watch faces, which users can use to customize the watch according to their moods or styles.You will be able to receive notifications about incoming calls, emails, messages and other important info, without having to take out your phone.
Some of the software features of the watch include:
- Watch Unlock – Unlock your phone or tablet by touching the watch face.
- TapTap – Assign a favorite ZenWatch function, that can be triggered simply by double-tapping the watch face.
- Cover to Mute – Mute an incoming call, or silence an alarm, by covering the watch face.
- Find My Phone – Locate your misplaced phone by ringing it remotely, or making it vibrate and flash.
You can install the ASUS Remote Camera and ASUS Remote Link apps on your phone to use the watch as a:
- Remote Camera- Displays the viewfinder of your phone on the watch, to take a group photo, or photos from a difficult angle, like a concert or a crowded event,
- Presentation Control – Can be used as a remote control and time manager when giving a business presentation or lecture, by allowing the user to move slides, and keep track of their progress and elapsed time.
And, if you own a Zenfone, you will be able to use exclusive apps such as the What’s Next and Do It Later on your Zenwatch.
The watch has a Bio sensor and a 9-axis sensor, and is used along with the ASUS ZenUI Wellness app, to provide a wide variety of fitness statistics such as heart rate,step counts, relaxation levels, calories burned, activity duration, exercise intensity.
ASUS Zenwatch Technical Specifications:
|Operating System||Android Wear|
|Display||AMOLED 1.63-inch, 320x320, 278ppi, 2.5D Curved Gorilla Glass 3.|
|Processor||Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 1.2GHz CPU|
|Smartphone Compatibility||Android 4.3 Jelly Bean or higher, ZenWatch Manager app, Remote Link, Remote Camera|
|Connectivity||Bluetooth 4.0, Micro USB on charging cradle|
|Fitness Monitor||9-axis sensor, Bio sensor|
|Software features||Watch Unlock, Tap Tap, Remote Camera, Cover to Mute, Find My Phone and Presentation Control|
|Exclusive features which can be used with Zenfones||What’s Next, Do It Later.|
|Misc||Water Resisitant IP55, Built-in microphone|
|Dimensions||50.6 x 39.8 x 7.9-9.4 mm|
|Weight||Body: 50g, Strap: 25g|
|Colors||Silver- and rose-gold-colored layers, Brown leather strap|
via Press Release