Paddlin’ Out is an endless runner type game where you play as a Dog in the Kayak.
The game was the result of a week long game jam, and developed by Indie developers, Chillsters Studios, who are a bunch of post grad students.
Paddlin’ Out was inspired by the Swedish Band, Miike Snow‘s song of the same name.
The game was built using the Unity Engine, so the graphics are quite good.
There are three game modes in Paddlin’ Out:
- Arcade mode – Escape the deadly crocodile.
- Time Attack Mode.- Its literally a race against time as you Paddle against the clock.
- Survival Mode – Dodge the carnage of a waterfall.
The game has various obstacles such as mines, floating wooden boxes and aquatic plants, running into which, will slow you down. There are two pickups in the game, Fuel cans, which gives you a speed boost and coins which lands you extra points.
The Controls are quite unique, you have to swipe up on the left and right sides of the screen to paddle. Its not easy at first but when you master it, the game is actually quite fun.
Here are some tips to get a high score:
- Steer away from the obstacles. This one is a no brainer.
- Swipe furiously to pick up speed, but try to steer in a straight path.
- Stay in the middle of the screen. That way, you can paddle to the left or the right to avoid obstacles.
- Don’t go after the coins which appear on the other side (of the screen), if you do there is a good chance you will miss it, and end up scraping the rocky bank, which will slow down your Kayak.
My best score is 3896 in the Arcade Mode.
- Challenging gameplay
- Unique Controls
- Cartoony Graphics
- No Ads
- No IAPs
- Lack of a soundtrack is kind of a let down.
What the game needs:
- Alternate control modes such as, tilt controls or on-screen arrows, would be great.
- Support for Google Play Services for Leaderboards and Achievements .
- Different Kayaks with upgrades and characters to unlock. To ensure replayability.
The AndroidPure Rating for Paddlin’ Out: 4/5
This is one of the games which you play repeatedly to beat your own high scores. Recommended for short gaming sessions.
Try the free version which has the Arcade mode:
Or get the full version for just $1 to unlock two more game modes: