AOKP is a custom ROM distribution for many Android devices and stands for Android Open Kang Project started in November 2011. This is different from the CyanogenMod and features much more options to customise the ROM. AOKP Roms keep all the customisations in one place making it easier to customise the phone to the maximum extent. If you love to flash and test new ROMS on your smartphone, then you must try AOKP Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich on your LG P500. Thanks to williamcharles at XDA forum, we now have a unofficial build of AOKP ROM available for LG P500.
- Your Phone must be rooted. Root your phone if it’s not rooted. Just search on Google and you will get the details on how to root your Android Phone.
- Custom recovery e.g. ClockworkMod or AmonRa must be installed on your Phone .
You must be on New Baseband.(If you are on old baseband and flash this ROM, your Phone Network will not work.)
DISCLAIMER: Keep in mind that this flashing of ROM if done incorrectly may brick your Phone and we are not responsible if you brick your phone. Be careful if you decide to flash the ROM.
Files needed for Installation (File links will be updated with each new release)
- AOKP ICS 4.0.4 ROM FOR LG P500: aokp_p500-ota-eng.parvez.build40-260612.zip (Build #40 )
- Google Apps : gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
Put the ROM and Google Apps zip file on your SD Card’s main folder for easy navigation since the recovery mode is tough to navigate with hard button keys.
- Boot your phone into your Recovery Mode using your existing ROM option using Power button (if it has) or by holding VOL DOWN + HOME + POWER keys.
- After booting into recovery mode, use Volume key at right side of phone to scroll up and down. You need to clear few settings and Cache before you can flash to your phone to the new ROM.
- Clear user Data/factory reset>> Clear/wipe Cache >> clear Dalvik Cache. Dalvik cache option comes under advance options in recovery mode.
- After this choose “install zip from SDcard” option.
- Select the AOKP ICS 4.0.4 ROM for LG P500 (the same file that you just downloaded above) to install. The ROM will begin to install.
- Once installed press the back button few times to go back to the main screen of Clockwork Recovery.Choose reboot system now.
- to install Google Apps, you need to reboot again to flash the zip file.
My Experience with AOKP ROM
I have personally tried the AOKP Build #38 for LG P500 which was a bit unstable though, but it should be kept in the mind that even the CyanogenMod 9 version of ICS ROM for LG P500 was not that much stable.
We would like to hear some feedback from those guys who are going to flash this AOKP ROM on their LG P500. If you face difficulty, do share it with us and we would try our best to help you troubleshoot and solve them.
Image Credits and Source: XDA