The Google+ app is receiving a major update today bringing some cool features.
Amar Gandhi, the Director of Product Management, Google+ announced that the Android and iPhone versions are being updated today.
Let me start the post by mentioning something I don’t like. While the iPhone version update brings support for Snapseed, the Android app won’t be receiving it. Way to limit your own app on your own OS Google.
Anyway, let’s take a look at what we will be getting in the update:
- Posts include more text up front—from the original message, and from comments
- Tapping video, photo or link attachments takes you directly to a watch page, lightbox or website
- Image previews are rarely cropped, so you’ll see portrait photos (for instance) in all their glory
- Key actions like +1, reshare and comment are displayed more prominently in each post
- You can swipe through photo albums inline
Still no longpress actions from the main screen? Come on, I have been waiting for this too long,
You can display your current location on your Google+ profile. This is optional.
- If you enable this option, you’ll then decide who can see your best-available location across Google
- Like always, you can be as public or as private as you want to be
- When someone with permission visits your profile, for example, they’ll see your current whereabouts underneath your name
Not exactly what people want to see I guess. Android users like their privacy. so unless you are a frequent traveller, I am not sure you are going to like this one.
Basically this is the same set of features which were made available for the browser version of Google+, Community Moderation. Now you can moderate groups with the mobile app.
- The ability to adjust the volume of community posts in your Home stream
- The option to invite people to a community, or reshare items with a community
- Member search, content moderation, and report-remove-ban support for community managers
Version 3.6 of Google+ is expected to hit the Play Store today, so keep an eye out for it. Or if you haven’t installed the app yet, you can do so from the widget below.
If you have already received the update, let us know what you think about the new version.