Xiaomi makes its foray into the foldable market with a device called the Mi Mix Fold. This is the first device in the world to come with Xiaomi’s in-house Surge C1 ISP.
The device has a screen that folds inwards, and the internal screen is an 8.01-inches AMOLED panel with 2K resolution (2480 x 1860 pixels). It has a pixel density of 387 PPI, and a 4:3 aspect ratio. The display has 600nits brightness, TrueColor Display, Dolby Vision, HDR10+, 4,300,000:1 contrast ratio, 60Hz refresh rate, Touch 120Hz sampling rate, DCI-P3 color gamut, and a 360° ambient light sensor.
The external screen on the Mi Mix Fold is a 6.52-inches flexible screen with a resolution of 2520 x 840 pixels, 90Hz refresh rate, 900nits brightness, TrueColor Display, Dolby Vision, 180Hz Touch sampling rate, DCI-P3 color gamut, HDR10+. The selfie camera on the external screen is a 20MP snapper.
The Mi Mix Fold is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 5G processor with an Adreno 660 GPU, 12GB/16GB of LPDDR5 RAM and 256GB/512GB of UFS3.1 storage. It runs on MIUI 12.
Xiaomi has added 4 stereo speakers to the device, and these are tuned by Harman Kardon audio.
There are quad cameras on the back of the Mi Mix Fold, and the primary lens of this setup is a 108MP sensor with a 1/1.52″ large sensor, with an f/1.75 large aperture, Liquid lens. It is assisted by a 13MP ultra wide-angle lens, with an f/2.4 aperture, 123° super wide angle FOV, an 8MP Telephoto lens, that supports 3x optical zoom, an 8MP Macro lens along with an LED Flash.
In the connectivity department, the foldable device supports 5G, 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.2, NFC, Beidou, GP, Galileo, GLONASS, QZSS, NavIC, and AGNSS.
The Mi Mix Fold is backed by a 5020mAh battery that charges over a USB Type-C port and supports 67W fast charging. It supports QC4+ and USB PD3.0.
The Black version of the device weighs about 317g, while the Ceramic Special Edition weighs 332g. The Mi Mix Fold does not have a 3.5mm headphone jack.
Mi Mix Fold specs
- Internal screen: 8.01-inches folding screen, AMOLED, 2480 x 1860 pixels, 387 PPI, 4:3 ratio, 600nits brightness, TrueColor Display, Dolby Vision, HDR10+, 4,300,000:1 contrast ratio, 60Hz refresh rate, Touch 120Hz sampling rate, DCI-P3 color gamut, 360° ambient light sensor
- External screen: 6.52-inches flexible screen, 2520 x 840 pixels, 90Hz refresh rate, 900nits brightness, TrueColor Display, Dolby Vision, 180Hz Touch sampling rate, DCI-P3 color gamut, HDR10+
- Operating System: MIUI 12
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 5G, Adreno 660 GPU
- Memory: 12GB/16GB LPDDR5 RAM
- Storage: 256GB/512GB UFS3.1
- Audio: Harman Kardon stereo four speakers
- Main Cameras: 108MP, 1/1.52″ large sensor, 2.1μm 9-in-1 large pixels, f/1.75 large aperture, 7P lens, Liquid lens + 13MP ultra wide-angle lens, f/2.4 aperture, 1.12μm, 123° super wide angle + 8MP Telephoto lens, 3x optical zoom + 8MP Macro lens, Surge C1 ISP + LED Flash
- Selfie Camera: 20MP
- Connectivity: 5G, 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 6, 2×2 MIMO, 8×8 MU-MIMO, WiFi Direct, Miracast, Bluetooth 5.2, NFC, Beidou, GP, Galileo, GLONASS, QZSS, NavIC, AGNSS
- Battery: 5020mAh, USB Type-C, 67W fast charging, QC4+ / PD3.0
- Sensors: Ultrasonic distance sensor, Ambient light sensor, Acceleration sensor, Hall sensor, Gyroscope, Electronic compass, Linear Motor, Infrared Remote Control, Barometer
- Dimensions: 173.27mm x folded 69.8mm/unfolded 133.38mm x folded 17.2mm/unfolded 7.62mm
- Weight: black 317g, ceramic special edition 332g
Mi Mix Fold price
The Mi Mix Fold price in China starts at RMB 9999 (about Rs. 1,18,000) for the 12GB/256GB version, and has been set at RMB 10999 (about Rs. 1,23,000) for the 12GB/512GB variant. The top-end version costs RMB 12999 (about Rs. 1,45,000), and has 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage.
Only time will tell how the device will fare against the likes of the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2.