As the name implies the device has dual screens, but unlike other foldable devices, the Surface Duo doesn’t have a foldable or flexible screen. Instead, the two screens are separated by a hinge. And that’s no ordinary hinge, it’s a 360 hinge which means it can fold fully, back to back.
Microsoft says that the phone is designed for productivity, and allows you to use 2 apps at the side-by-side, one on either display. It supports drag and drop across screens, and is compatible with dual-screen enhanced apps.
The Microsoft Surface Duo has an 8.1-inch AMOLED Dual PixelSense Fusion display when it’s opened, with a 3:2 aspect ratio and a screen resolution of 2700 x 1800 pixels, and 401 PPI. The Single PixelSense Display size is 5.6”-inches, with a resolution of 1800 x 1350 pixels, a 4:3 aspect ratio and, 401 PPI. Both screens are protected by Corning Gorilla Glass.
The Surface Duo is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor, and has 6GB of DRAM. It will be available in 128GB/256GB storage options. The handheld is preloaded with several apps including Microsoft Office apps, Outlook, OneDrive, Edge, OneNote, To Do, Authenticator, Bing Search, Surface Audio, Google Search, Assistant, Calendar, Drive, Gmail, Chrome, Play Store, etc. The Surface Duo supports Surface Pen handwriting input, though it doesn’t come with the stylus in the box.
The Microsoft Surface Duo is equipped with a side-mounted fingerprint scanner. Despite sporting dual screens, the device weighs just 250g. It measures 4.8mm in thickness when opened, and 9.9 mm when closed. The tablet is backed by 3577mAh dual battery, that supports 18W fast charging over a USB Type-C port.
The Surface Duo has a single camera with an adaptive 11MP sensor that has an f/2.0 aperture, 1.0 µm pixel size, supports PDAF and 84.0° diagonal FOV optimized with AI for front and rear.
Microsoft Surface Duo Specs
- Display: Dual PixelSense Fusion Displays open: 8.1” AMOLED, 2700×1800 (3:2), 401 PPI, Single PixelSense Display: 5.6” AMOLED, 1800×1350 (4:3), 401 PPI, Corning Gorilla Glass
- Operating System: Android 10
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855
- Memory: 6GB DRAM
- Storage: 128GB/256 GB UFS 3.0
- Battery: 3577mAh dual battery, 18W fast charging, USB Type-C 3.1
- Main Cameras: Adaptive camera 11MP, f/2.0, 1.0 µm pixel size, PDAF and 84.0° diagonal FOV optimized with AI for front and rear
- Dimensions: Open:145.2 mm x 186.9 mm x 4.8 mm, Closed: 145.2 mm x 93.3 mm x 9.9 mm
- Weight: 250g
- Connectivity: One eSIM and one Nano SIM, WiFi-5 802.11ac (2.4/5GHz), Bluetooth 5.0, 4G LTE, 4×4 MIMO, GPS, Galileo, GLONASS, BeiDou, QZSS
- Sensors: Dual Accelerometer, Dual Gyroscope, Dual Magnetometer, Dual Ambient Light Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Hall Sensor, Fingerprint Sensor
- Colour: Glacier
Microsoft Surface Duo price
The Microsoft Surface Duo has been priced at $1,399 for the 128GB storage variant, while the 256GB version costs $1,499. The device is up for pre-order in the US, and will start shipping from September 10. The Surface Duo is compatible with AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon networks