Some of you must have heard about Linaro in last few days which claims to provide a performance boost of 30-100% to existing Android Builds for various benchmarks. Linaro is a not-for-profit engineering organization consolidating and optimizing open source Linux software and tools for the ARM architecture including the GCC toolchain, the Linux kernel, ARM power management, graphics and multimedia interfaces.
Developers are already trying to merge components of Linaro into existing Android ROMs like Cyanogenmod. If you own a LG P500, then a Custom ICS ROM based on Linaro build is already available for you to flash it on your Phone, thanks to the developer hephappy at XDA forums. In this post we will talk about how to install this Linaro build based Ice Cream Sandwich ICS ROM with Android 4.0.4.
Files needed for Installation
ICS 4.0.4 ROM FOR LG P500:cm-9.0.0-REDPILL-HEPHAPPY-p500.zip
Update: Looks like the Developers have removed the Linaro ROM due to bugs for the moment and hence the ROM is not available for download.
Google Apps : gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
Save the ROM and Google Apps files on your Phone SD Card main folder for easy navigation since the recovery mode is tough to navigate with hard keys.
- Boot your phone into your recovery Mode using your existing ROM option using Power button (if it has) or by holding VOL DOWN + HOME + POWER keys.
- After you boot in recovery mode, use your Volume key at right side of phone to scroll up and down. You need to clear few settings and Cache before you can flash to your phone to the new ROM.
- Clear user Data/factory Reset>> Clear/wipe Cache >> clear Dalvik Cache. Dalvik cache option comes under advance options in recovery mode.
- After this choose install zip from SDcard option.
- Select the ICS 4.0.4 ROM FOR LG P500 (the same file cm-9.0.0-REDPILL-HEPHAPPY-p500.zipthat you just downloaded above) to install or flash. your ROM will now begin to install.
- Once installed, just press the back button few times to go back to the Clockwork Recovery main screen .Choose reboot system now option.
- After reboot, install GApps by flashing the Gapps zip file.
I am using this build on my LG P500 and I do feel its smoother than the previous non-Linaro build. I am still to check how it fares in terms of Battery life as I am using it only since yesterday. The ROM is stable with no random reboots or force closure of apps etc. and everything else works except the few minor issues that every ICS ROM for LG P500.