Few days back we talked about how to install Ice Cream Sandwich ICS 4.0.3 based on CyanogenMod CM 9 on LG Optimus P500. Today we will talk about how to install AOSP Ice Cream Sandwich ICS 4.0.3 on LG Optimus P500. For those who are unaware of what AOSP is, basically AOSP refers to Android Open Source Project. The ROM which we will be covering today is an AOSP ROM which basically is the default ICS version without any modifications unlike the CyanogenMod ROMs.
This AOSP Ice Cream Sandwich ICS ROM is developed by RockR172 at XDA forum. He has released Beta 1 version of the ROM and its not ready for daily use. Unless you really want to test it, you should avoiding installing or flashing it on your smartphone.
Almost most features that are available on a good and stable ROM works on this ROM. Working features include Stereo Audio, GSM, Data (2G/3G), Touchscreen, WiFi, Sensors , Bluetooth, GPS, Headphones, Browser, Mic etc. and Surface Dithering (No More Ugly Color Banding that happened with some previous ICS versions of few ROMs).
What’s not Working or Partially Working
- YouTube (Videos lag while playing)
- Camera works but no Previews are available while taking shots
- Gallery (Force Closes often).
- Mass Storage doesn’t work i.e its not possible to transfer files from your PC to SD card of Phone using the cable.
- Hardware Video Decoding
DISCLAIMER: Install custom ROMs only if you know what you are doing. If you do something wrong or something bad happens during the flashing of ROM, it may brick your device and make it non-functional. Also, keep in mind doing this makes your Phone warranty Null and Void. So Do it at your own risk. Androidpure is not responsible if you brick your device.
Install AOSP Ice Cream Sandwich ICS ROM on LG P500
Save the ROM file beta1-p500-ota-eng.rockr172.zip on your SD Card’s main folder for easy navigation since the recovery mode is tough to navigate with hard keys.
- Your phone must be rooted and you must have ClockworkMod or AmonRa Recovery installed to boot your phone into recovery Mode.
- After you boot in recovery mode, use your Volume key at right side of phone to scroll up and down. You need to clear few settings before you can flash to your phone to the new ROM.
- Clear User Data/factory reset>> Clear/wipe Cache >> clear Dalvik Cache. Dalvik cache option comes under Advance Options of ClockworkMod and under Wipe in AmonRa recovery.
- After this choose install zip from sdcard option.
- Select the ROM (the same file that you just downloaded before) to flash/ install. Your new ROM will begin to install and may take few minutes to flash fully. Once its done, you will get the confirmation message.
- Once installed press the back button few times to go back to the main screen of Recovery. Choose reboot system now.
What not to expect in AOSP Ice Cream Sandwich ICS ROM
As this is a AOSP ROM, no additional settings like that available in CyanogenMod is available in this ROM. You would not find settings like Overclocking, Governors or any other added feature for the performance & smoothness and improved notification bar etc. You will find a blank notification bar with this ROM just like the default ICS behaviour.
Caution: This ROM doesn’t come with a option to Boot into Recovery mode. Hence I had to install ROM manager first using its APK file downloaded from the web using the web browser (As Google play store or other Google apps are not installed with the ROM). ROM manager was then used to reboot into recovery and flash the Google Apps file.