ASUS has rolled out a system update for the Zenfone 5, which brings a much desired feature to the phone, support for USB OTG (On-The-Go).
While the Zenfone 4 had it enabled by default for quite a while the Z5 did not have it, with battery drain being the possible reason why it was disabled.
The following screenshots were taken from our Zenfone 5:
The latest system update takes the build number to 22.214.171.124_20140811_0963. It weighs around 31 MB in size, and adds the following features and bug fixes:
- Brand new skin-brightening feature added to the Beautification mode, enabling even better-looking selfies.
- Adding two additional resolution options, 3M/2M for real cameras.
- Adjust front cam skin tone.
- Support OTG function
- Support ASUS unlock APP
- Enhance 3rd party app compatibility
- Improved System stability (modem)
You can navigate to Settings >About Phone > Software Version > Check for Update to manually check for the OTA update. I tested it by connecting my Transcend pen drive to it and it works beautifully. Check the first image in this article for proof.