Nothing has put a date on its Android 17-based software, and it is four days away. A post on the Nothing Community forum titled “Nothing OS 5.0 ⚡️ Coming Soon.” points to 25 August at 11:20 AM BST. The date and time appear in the page’s own description metadata, alongside the tagline “More joy, every day” and a question asking readers what they hope to see in NOS 5. What Nothing intends to do at that moment, it has not said.

What is likely to happen on 25 August — and what probably is not
The obvious hope is that Android 17 starts landing on Nothing phones next Tuesday. The company’s own track record argues against it. Nothing OS 4.0, the Android 16 release, went into closed beta in late July 2025, opened to a public beta a couple of months after that, and only began reaching people as a stable build from November. Android Authority, which spotted the forum post, reads 25 August as too early in that cycle for a general rollout and more likely a public reveal, possibly with a beta programme opening alongside it. That is the sensible reading, and it is worth setting expectations by it rather than by the date alone.
One supporting hint: Nothing recently invited Phone 3 owners to apply to test an unnamed upcoming release under a non-disclosure agreement, and nothing more has been said about it publicly since. That is what the run-up to a closed or invite-only beta looks like, not the run-up to an OTA hitting everyone’s phone.
Where Android 17 stands right now
For context on how early this still is: stable Android 17 has so far reached Pixel phones, Samsung’s newest foldables and the Motorola Edge 2025, with an assortment of betas elsewhere. If Nothing gets a public beta running in late August and a stable release out before the end of the year, it would be tracking meaningfully faster than its Android 16 cycle did — which is the actual thing worth watching on Tuesday.
What Nothing has not confirmed
Two absences are worth stating plainly, because they are the questions that decide whether this matters to you. Nothing has not published a device eligibility list for Nothing OS 5.0, so there is no confirmation yet of which of the Phone series, the Phone (a) models and the CMF handsets are getting Android 17, or when. It has also not said what form Tuesday takes — announcement, beta sign-up, or rollout. Until an eligibility list exists, a date with no device list attached is a marketing beat, not an update.
The post is live on Nothing’s own community forum now, and the event it points to is Tuesday, 25 August at 11:20 AM BST.
Source: Nothing Community forum, via Android Authority





