Samsung Galaxy Folder, is an upcoming phone from the South Korean electronics giant, and it will be a rather unusual device. The name should make it obvious, but if you didn’t get that, take a look at the press render image of the phone below.
The Galaxy Folder is literally a phone that folds, or as you may know it from the good old days of Motorola, a flip phone.
The phone was spotted on Samsung China‘s website by Roland Quandt. Yes, Samsung is apparently going to launch an Android smartphone with a Clamshell design and a physical T9 keypad, and buttons for navigating the operating system. Naturally, since the device comprises of two physical parts, the phone itself is compact in size, with the display being a 3.8 inch TFT screen, with a 480 x 800 (WVGA) resolution.
The Samsung Galaxy Folder will run Android Marshmallow, and will be powered by a 1.4 GHz quad-core processor with 2GB of RAM. The device has 16GB of internal storage, and supports up to 128GB microSD card. The memory card slot is not a dedicated one, but a part of the Dual SIM card tray, in which one is a hybrid slot which can be used for either a SIM/microSD card.
The main camera on the Galaxy Folder is an 8 megapixel rear snapper with an f/1.9 aperture with Auto Focus, LED Flash and 1080p video recording at 30 frames per second. The selfie lens is a 5 megapixel front camera also with an f/1.9 aperture. The phone sports a full metal body, weighs at 160g, and is backed by a 1,950 mAh battery.
Samsung Galaxy Folder Technical Specifications
- Display: 3.8 inches 480 x 800 (WVGA), TFT
- Operating System: Android Marshmallow
- Processor: 1.4 GHz Quad-Core
- RAM: 2GB
- Storage:16GB internal storage + up to 128GB microSD card
- Rear Camera: 8 megapixels, f 1.9 aperture, LED Flash, Auto Focus, Full HD 1080P video recording @ 30fps
- Front Camera: 5 megapixels, f/1.9 aperture
- Battery: 1,950mAh
- Sensors: Acceleration, Hall, proximity
- Connectivity: 2G, 3G, 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.2, GPS, Glonass, Beidou, 3.5mm Headphone jack, Micro USB
- Dimensions: 122 x 60.2 x 15.4 mm
- Weight: 160g
- Model Number: SM-G1600ZDACHC
There is no word yet as to when the phone will be launched. But according to a teaser by evleaks, “next year’s hottest handset might be a flip phone”. Of course, Blass was joking, since the device is a low end phone.