Android users will be aware that a lot of apps and games are ad-supported. These can be annoying, pose some privacy risks, and sometimes can cause security risks. We are going to show you how to set up NextDNS on Android phone to block ads and protect your privacy.
Note: You will need to sign up for a free NextNDS account to use the service. This is required because it will give you a specific DNS server that is linked with your account.
How to set up NextDNS on Android
1. Go to https://my.nextdns.io/ and sign in to your account.
2. Copy the alphanumeric URL that is displayed under the Endpoint section for the “DNS-over-TLS/QUIC”. This is your DNS server ID, it will look like this: 123456.dns.nextdns.io.
Note: The number will be unique to your account, you should not share it with other users.
3. Open the Settings on your phone.
4. Navigate to Network & Internet > Advanced > Private DNS.
5. Tap on the text box there, and paste the DNS server address that you copied.
6. Tap the Save button.
Note: Step 4 can be slightly different on custom Android skins like MIUI. For example, the option is available under
This is the only way on how to set up NextDNS on Android. The official app has not been updated since 2021, so you will need to set the DNS server manually.
What are the advantages of using NextDNS on Android? NextDNS is an advanced firewall, which blocks ads and trackers not just on websites, but also in apps and games. Yes, it works system-wide. It can even block ads in apps like Disney+ Hotstar (TV shows and movies only, not in Sports).
Want to block ads efficiently in Firefox? Learn how to do that by reading our guide.