Until August 2023, WhatsApp Messenger used to compress images that you send to a visually lossy quality. But, now it lets you share pictures in a higher resolution. We show you how to send an HD photo in WhatsApp.
The following tutorial is applicable for Android phones. iPhone users will need to follow a slightly different method that we have described below.
How to send an HD photo in WhatsApp
1. Open WhatsApp on your phone.
2. Tap on the chat that you wish to share an HD photo in.
3. Tap on the icon that looks like a paper clip. Select the gallery option.
4. Scroll through your photo library and select an HD photo that you want to send to your contact. Tap on the image.
5. WhatsApp will display a preview of the photo. Tap on the HD icon at the top of the screen.
6. You will see a prompt that asks you to select the quality of the picture, i.e. SD or HD. Tap on HD. WhatsApp will tell you that the photo quality has been set to HD.
7. Send the image to your contact. The photo will have an HD icon next to it in the chat, which indicates the media is in a high resolution format.
That is all there is to learn about how to send an HD photo in WhatsApp. You can follow the above steps to share HD videos in WhatsApp too.
Note: iOS users will need to tap on the + button in a chat to access the gallery option. The rest of the steps (from 3 to 7) are similar on iOS and Android.
It is worth noting that HD photos and videos are larger in terms of file size, and will consume more data on your mobile network or Wi-Fi. It will also be slower to send and download than an SD photo or video. If you are unable to send HD photos or videos, please update WhatsApp to the latest version from the Google Play Store.
Do you know how to lock WhatsApp with your fingerprint? Read our guide to protect your privacy.