Halfbrick Studios have finally released their hit iOS game, Fish Out Of Water!, for Android devices.
The game was released for iOS in April, 2013, and Android fans were literally spamming the company’s Facebook page every day since then demanding for an Android version.
The gameplay is quite simple, and may slightly remind you of Angry Birds. You have to pick one of the fishes from the water and fling it across the screen where they will fly, and skip (bounce), across the surface.
Try to get as much distance as possible and a good number of skips. You have three chances on every play, and have six fishes to choose from:
- Errol – The Blowfish
- Finlay – The Dolphin
- Micro – The Blue Whale
- Olympus – The Gold Fish
- Rocket – The Red fish
- The Brothers – The small Blue fish which split into four fishes (gets you more skips)
The weather also affects your performance, storms may make it difficult to skip. So keep an eye on the weather by looking at the weather info on the top right corner. You can give you fishes a boost by tapping and holding your finger on the screen, and replenish the boost bar by collecting the boosts spread across the game. The bar is reset after 3 tries.
After three tries, you will be rated out of 10, the score is based on your performance (total number of skips and distance) by 5 judges (crabs). Each crab has it’s own personality (system to judge). Tap on them to learn more or read about them below:
- Distance Dorothy – Gives you high marks, if you cover long distances.
- Nice Natalie – Gives high scores happily.
- Reasonable Re – Rates you based on the number of skips, distance covered, and the weather.
- Skippy Steve – Marks depend on the number of skips, and the weather.
- Hard to Please Harwood – Should have been named Crabby, because that’s what he is, difficult to please, and gives out low scores.
You can complete various goals (missions) in the game, and completing three goals lets you gain a level. every time you level up, you get to choose a random reward, which are various sizes of shiny crystal packs.
All crystals you find, will go to the treasure chest in the main screen. You can unlock costumes from Zeus’ shop, buy crystals for real money, and craft new items which boost your fishes.
You can access the in-game menu by tapping on the crab (with the glasses) on the beach.
[appbox googleplay com.halfbrick.FishOutOfWater]
Tips for getting high scores, and the abilities of the fishes, in Fish Out of Water:
- Finlay likes to dive and tends to submerge after bouncing, so do not throw him very high, or he may hit the ocean floor and come to a stop. Throw him at a low angle, just above the sea level.
- The Brothers (Blue Fish) can get you more skips, but they cover a short distance. You may want to use them for specific goals only.
- Errol bounces a lot, so throw him at a reasonable angle, not too high and not to low.
- Micro bounces and covers great distances, so throw him at a very high angle.
- Olympus bounces moderately, you may want to throw him at a slightly low angle.
- Rocket tends to travel fast, but will lose speed after every bounce.
- Use boosts just before the fishes begin to decelerate, to get maximum skips and distance.
- While using boosts, aim for collecting more boosts along the way. Just remove your finger off the screen to adjust the angle of ascent or descent. It may take a while to get used to this.
Note: The game has ads and In-App Purchases for Crystals. They are completely optional, and you can get the crystals, just by gaining levels.
Thanks Rohit for the tip.