WhatsApp has announced that it has launched a Web version of their popular Instant Messaging service.
But there is a catch, you need to have your phone connected to the internet, for the PC’s browser version to work.
You can try the service by visiting https://web.whatsapp.com/ from Google Chrome. Yes, it only works in Chrome for now. If you try accessing the website from any other browser, a message reads
“More browsers coming soon.”
How to connect to WhatsApp Web:
1. Update to the latest version of WhatsApp available from Google Play.
2. Visit the above link from your desktop’s Chrome browser. You will see a unique QR code on the screen.
3. Open the WhatsApp application on your phone.
4. Tap on the menu button, and then on WhatsApp Web.
5. You should get a message which reads “Visit WhatsApp Web on your PC to scan the QR Code”. Tap on the “Got it” button.
6. Focus the phone’s camera to scan your QR Code displayed on the desktop’s screen.
That’s it, the webpage on Chrome should automatically load your phone’s WhatsApp messages and conversations.
You can now IM with your contacts using the Web version, as long as your phone is connected to the internet. This isn’t the most convenient way, it would be much better if they brought their own standalone desktop app like Viber.
How to get the WhatsApp Web button in the app:
If you don’t have the button yet, just force close the app and open it again. It should work.