Google just released the factory image for Nexus 4 Android 5.0 Lollipop and is available for download on Google servers. Those of you who are impatient like me, must have already downloaded and flashed the Android 5.0 Lollipop factory image on your Nexus 4. I did that already few hours back. After that, I tried to root it, but was unable to do so using the supersu zip file flashing. Even tried the latest beta Supersu 2.19 version but it didn’t work. Every time it resulted in error that Supersu binary is not installed and I need to re-root the device manually.
Root Nexus 4 on Android 5.0 Lollipop
Here is the method that worked and I was able to root Nexus 4 on Android 5.0 Lollipop. We need CF-Auto-Root tool which is updated for Android 5.0 Lollipop by Chainfire.
- Just download the CF-Auto-Root zip file for Nexus 4 (mako) from the link here.
- If you are on a Windows PC, just unzip the zip file into a folder. Here you will find a root-windows batch file.
- Connect your Nexus 4 to PC via USB cable (Make sure you have all drivers installed and PC detects Nexus 4).
- All your data may be wiped if your device was not “OEM UNLOCKED”. If your device was not unlocked previously, this will wipe all your data. So backup your data just in case.
- Just run the batch file (not as an administrator but normal user).
- It will run inside a command window. After the unlock, CF-Auto-Root will boot. You should see a big red Android robot on your device’s screen running on it.