Xiaomi has announced a new device called the Mi MIX Alpha. And you’re probably not going to believe what it looks like.
That’s the MIX Alpha, it has a display that curves from the front all the way to the back. Xiaomi calls it a Surround Screen, and it has a 180.6% screen-to-body ratio.
There are no physical buttons on the phone, because the sides of the screen are pressure-sensitive, and the company has used a linear motor which allows for button press simulation.
The status bar is displayed on the side of the screen as well, and the phone uses Display Acoustic technology for playing audio right through the screen.
There is a camera strip made of ceramic which houses the Mi MIX Alpha’s cameras. The phone has 3 cameras with a 108MP primary lens that has a whopping resolution of 12032 x 9024 pixels, a 1/1.33″ sensor size, 1.6μm pixel size, 4-in-1 Super pixel, f/1.69 aperture, 7P lens, 4-axis OIS, a 12MP telephoto lens with a 112° Field of View, 1/2.8″ sensor size, 2x optical zoom, f/2.2 aperture, 1.0μm pixel size, 6P lens and a 20 MP ultra-wide angle lens, f/2.0 aperture, 1.4μm pixel size, 1/2.55″ sensor size, 6P lens, 1.5cm macro photography, laser focus, flicker sensor.
There are no front cameras, because the screen wraps over to the back and hence the main cameras can be used for selfies. The MIX Alpha runs on MIUI 11 based on Android 10, and is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+ processor with 12GB of RAM and has 512GB of UFS 3.0 storage.
The Mi MIX Alpha is backed by a 4,050 mAh battery made of nano silicon cathode and supports 40W fast charging. The phone offers support for 5G Dual SIM connectivity.
Mi MIX Alpha Specs
- Display: Surround Display, 180.6% screen-to-body ratio, Pressure-sensitive side display, linear motor, Mis-touch detection, Ultrasonic proximity sensor, Display acoustic technology
- Operating System: MIUI 11 based on Android 10
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+
- Memory: 12GB RAM
- Storage: 512GB UFS 3.0
- Battery: 4,050 mAh nano silicon cathode, 40W fast charging
- Main Cameras: 108MP lens, 12032 x 9024 pixels, 1/1.33″ sensor size, 1.6um pixel size, 4-in-1 Super pixel, f/1.69 aperture, 7P lens, 4-axis OIS + 12MP telephoto lens 112° FOV, 1/2.8″ sensor size, 2x optical zoom, f/2.2 aperture, 1.0um pixel size, 6P lens + 20 MP ultra-wide angle lens, f/2.0 aperture, 1.4um pixel size, 1/2.55″ sensor size, 6P lens, 1.5cm macro photography, laser focus, flicker sensor
- Connectivity: 5G Dual SIM
- Misc: Titanium Alloy, Ceramic Back Strip, 2.88g full sapphire glass cover
Images via Xiaomi
Mi MIX Alpha price
The Mi MIX Alpha has been priced at 19,999 RMB, which is about Rs. 2,00,000 or $2815 or 2560 €.