Yesterday, we reported that the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update is rolling out to the Android One.
I installed it on my Spice Dream Uno yesterday, and here’s how you can too.
This tutorial uses the flashable zip version of the firmware, which requires a custom recovery to be installed on the phone. We have instructions to guide you through that as well. The XDA developer who made the flashable zip says this firmware is a universal one and can be installed on other Android One sprout4 devices as well. I have only tested it on the Spice Dream Uno
You may also follow this tutorial to unbrick the Spice Dream Uno Android One phone.
Androidpure and the author are not responsible for any damage you incur. Proceed at your own risk.
Perform a nandroid backup of your current firmware.
Backup the EFS (IMEI) partitions by using the Partitions backup & restore app (requires root)
Backup all your data, pics, videos, SMS, etc.
Make sure you have the Android usb drivers installed on your PC, and also the Minimal ADB and Fastboot version as well.
Enable usb debugging on the phone from the developer options. To enable developer options, go to Settings > About Phone and tap on the build number seven times.
How to unlock the bootloader on the Android One:
Warning: Unlocking the bootloader will erase all your data, so please backup your files to your PC.
1. Navigate to the folder where minimal adb is installed and shift + right click in the folder and select “Open cmmand window here”
2. With your phone plugged in to the USB port of the PC, enter the following commands one by one.
adb reboot bootloader
(This will reboot the device into fastboot mode)
fastboot oem unlock
(This will unlock the device’s bootloader)
3. Now, the phone will prompt you whether to unlock the bootloader or not and give you two options. Press volume up to unlock the bootloader.
fastboot erase userdata
(This will erase all content on the device, and this is why I asked you to backup the files)
Note: If you do not use the last command, your device will be stuck in a bootloop with error mounting data, cache etc.
How to install TWRP recovery on the Spice Dream Uno Android One Mi-498:
You can download TWRP for the Android One from the official website. Install the TWRP recovery by using fastboot. You may follow our guide for that, and continue with the steps below.
How to install the official Android 6.0 Marshmallow update for the Spice Dream Uno Android One:
1. Download the official Android 6.0 Marshmallow update for the Spice Dream Uno and copy it to your phone.
2. Reboot to the TWRP recovery. To do so, first power off the phone. Now, press and hold power and volume up to enter fastboot options.
3. Use the volume key to highlight the recovery option and then press volume down.
4. Your phone should be in the TWRP recovery. Tap on wipe and select dalvik/cache and data.
Press the back or home button to return to the recovery’s main screen.
5. Tap on “Install” and then select the ROM file “SPROUT4-STOCK-ROM-MRA58M_v2.zip”. Proceed to flash the file. Once it has finished, reboot the phone.
6. Please do not turn off the phone while it is booting.
It takes a very long time to boot for the first time, it took me around 8 minutes. So be patient, and the device should boot into Android 6.0 Marshmallow Build MRA58M.
Here are some screenshots featuring the System UI Tuner, Google Now on Tap, App Permissions, the new App drawer, Volume controls and much more, even the AnTuTu Benchmark scores.
Drop a comment below if you need help flashing the firmware.