Samsung has officially unveiled its 2016 flagship phablet, the Galaxy Note 7. The device’s name as hinted earlier, has skipped the Note 6 branding to keep it on par with the flagship phones of the year, the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge.
The Note 7 sports a 5.7 inch QHD Dual edge Super AMOLED display, with a pixel density of 518ppi, and is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5, which makes the device survive drops from as high as 1.6 metres.
In fact the device’s front and back panels are both curved, in what Samsung calls “front-to-back symmetrical dual-edge curve” design. The phone runs on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. The phablet is powered by an octa-core 64-bit Exynos 8890 processor or a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 chipset with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of internal storage.
The Galaxy Note 7 marks the return of the SD card to the Note series, after the Note 5, which was the first to drop support for expandable storage. The rear camera on the Note 7 is a 12 megapixel dual pixel lens with Phase Detect Auto Focus, LED Flash, an f/1.7 aperture and Optical Image Stabilization. The selfie lens, which also has an f/1.7 aperture is a 5 megapixel front camera.
The Note 7 has a fingerprint scanner embedded in the physical home button, and an Iris Scanner for enhanced biometric authentication. It comes with a new S-Pen which supports Magnify and Translate, and is backed by a 3500mAh battery which supports fast charging in both wired and wireless scenarios. The phablet has been IP68 certified for dust and water resistance. The Note 7 comes in 4 colours: Blue Coral, Gold Platinum, Silver Titanium and Black Onyx.
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Technical Specifications
- Display: 5.7” Quad HD Dual edge Super AMOLED 2560 x 1440 (518ppi), Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Operating System: Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
Processor: Octa core (2.3GHz Quad + 1.6GHz Quad), 64 bit, 14 nm process or quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820
- Memory: 4GB LPDDR4 RAM
- Storage: 64GB internal memory (UFS 2.0) + microSD up to 256GB)
- Rear Camera: 12 megapixels Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS, LED Flash, f/1.7 aperture
- Front Camera: 5 megapixel f/1.7 aperture
- Security: Fingerprint Scanner and Iris Scanner
- Sensors: Barometer, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, HR Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor
- Connectivity: 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2X2 MIMO), Bluetooth 4.2 LE, NFC, USB Type-C, GPS, Glonass, Beidou
Battery: 3,500mAh with fast charging (wired and wireless)
- Dimensions: 153.5 x 73.9 x 7.9mm
- Weight: 169g
- Other: IP68 water and dust resistance, S Pen stylus
The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 will be available from August 19th. And just to clarify, there is no flat version of the Note 7, after all.