About a month ago, a reddit user who goes by the name “TweektheGeek”, had the misfortune of ending up with a burnt Samsung Galaxy S4.
The phone in question, was plugged in to the charger and was on the user’s bed when the incident happened.
A few hours later, when he rolled over in his sleep, his hand landed on the phone, and as it was hot, it woke him up. Fortunately the user, was able to unplug it before it did any damage. But nevertheless, he ended up with a burnt charger port and cable.
The cable, the phone and the battery in it were all original parts from Samsung.He reported this issue last month, on reddit, and Samsung had contacted him, promising a free replacement, along with a box to send the burnt unit in. Now this sounds good, and they did send him the box to take the damaged unit, eexcept Samsung never bothered to send him a replacement, and his repeated attempts to bring this to Samsung’s attention were ignored.
Now, a month later, TweektheGeek made another post on reddit, sharing his woes and asking for help, and it did arrive, but not from Samsung, but from HTC. A Product Manager from HTC (jetleigh), sympathized with him, and was kind enough to offer him a free HTC One M8, with a promise. Should Samsung eventually send him a replacement, he should donate it to charity, or auction it and donate the money to charity. He has accepted the offer.
You can read the conversation between the two on reddit.
A big salute to HTC, not only because they helped the user, but also because of the brilliant manner in which they handled it. Customer service at it’s best.