Google is about to launch an Android One phone in Indonesia, but it looks like it may have something sweeter.
Before we reveal what the news is about, take a closer look at the above image (full resolution here) which was Tweeted by Google Indonesia.
The time displayed in the image is 5:10, which is possibly a teaser for Android 5.1. Could it be true? Apparently the Indonesian Android One phone, has been spotted running on it. Android 5.1, not 5.0.3? This signifies that it could be quite an important update.
Here are some screenshots from the device:
You can see that the phone has Android 5.1 Build LMY29F. AndoidPolice reports that they have seen Nexus5,6, and 9 devices running on various builds (LMY22E, 29C, 29D) in their server logs (visitor’s device fingerprint). It is not surprising though, considering that the Nexus range are Google’s primary devices.
And a new version of Gmail (5.0.2) was also spotted on the phone. The current version is 5.0.1.
AndroidPit had posted an article citing an insider source, who said these were the changes 5.1 would bring:
- Silent mode added after missing on Android 5.0
- General improvements in system stability
- Improved RAM management
- Fixes for sudden app closures
- Improved battery management
- Excessive consumption of network devices when used Wi-Fi fixed
- Issues with wireless connections fixed
- Problems with Okay Google function solved
- Notifications problems solved
- Some sound problems experience by certain devices fixed
- Other improvements and changes
- Changes in the Material Design color palette (after users complaints, possibly for a higher version though)
Of course this isn’t the final list of changes, but it does give us an idea of whats to come in Android 5.1.