The latest Android Jelly Bean 4.2 release comes with loads of new features and enhancements when compared with previous Jelly Bean 4.1 release. Most of the old Android Phone wont be getting this update officially or even unofficially (using custom ROMs developed by Developers). One of the old Android Phone which would be getting this Android 4.2 update using Custom ROM is our own LG P500 Optimus one, thanks to developers Bytecode and Rashed97.
A custom ROM of Android 4.2 based on CyanogenMod 10.1 for LG P500 Optimus one is released at XDA forum by LGICS ( an account controlled by Bytecode and Rashed97). In this post, we will talk about how to install this ROM on your P500, even though anyone who has installed a Custom ROM before will know that the process is same.
- Phone must be rooted and must have Custom recovery e.g. ClockworkMod or AmonRa installed on the Phone.
- Phone must be on New Baseband as this ROM doesn’t support old baseband. To check the baseband, Just go to settings >> about phone>> baseband version. If the version listed is similar to v20g, then its the new baseband. If the version listed is v10g or similar, then its the old baseband.
Files needed for Installation
- Fixed camera preview and camera recording
- Fixed signal strength on Wi-Fi
- Fixed minimum brightness
- Fixed lockscreen clock layout
- Fixed GPS
The process is same if you have flashed a custom ROM before. Just save ROM zip file and GApps file on SD Card main folder for easy navigation during the Recovery mode while flashing.
- Boot phone into recovery Mode using Power button (if the ROM existing on P500 supports it) or by holding VOL DOWN + HOME + POWER keys simulataneously for 10-15 seconds when the phone is OFF.
- After entering into recovery mode (AmonRa of ClockworkMod ), use Volume keys at right side of phone to scroll up and down. You need to clear few settings and Cache before you can proceed to flash the new Jelly Bean 4.2 ROM zip file on your phone.
- Wipe user Data/factory reset >> Format System >> Format Boot,>> Clear/wipe Cache >> clear Dalvik Cache. Dalvik cache option comes under advance options in recovery mode.
- After this choose install zip from SDcard option.
- Select the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean ROM Zip file (the same file that you just downloaded above) to start the install/flashing. Now your ROM will begin to install.
- When finished, press the back button few times to go back to the main screen of Recovery.Choose reboot system now.
- to install GApps, you need to reboot again and flash the zip file using the “flash zip” option.
- Reboot your Phone again and now you can enjoy the 4.2 Jelly Bean on your old optimus one.
My Experience with this ROM
Camera is partially working. You can click pictures but there is no preview just like the initial builds of Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs for P500. Youtube is working though not perfectly and with some issues.
Battery life in this build is far from stable. Battery drains fast while using the 3G data connection. Even with no data connection, it drains too fast. It didn’t lasted even 1 day with my moderate use.
As this is the first release for Android 4.2, we do expect the ROM to be far from stable. It reboots often or hangs if you use the power switch to take screenshots. On lock screen, by long pressing power button the shutdown/reboot menu appear but clicking on any option like taking screenshots, the phone reboots from boot animation without LG logo( fast reboot).
Also if you set the brightness of phone to minimum, the screen light goes OFF (end up with a black screen) and often dont come back even if a call is coming on phone.
What’s not working
Bluetooth is not working.You cannot take screenshots. The signal strength of WiFi/ 3g/ 2g or even phone network is shown negligible even though signal is good.
Apart from the features mentioned above, OMX, voice search and swipe option in keyboard is not working.
Hopefully we will be getting many bug fixes and more stable ROM with the next release. We will update this post when a new release is out.
Note: Do not install this ROM on your P500 if you want a perfectly working or stable ROM or you use Camera, Bluetooth etc often on your Phone. This ROM is far from a stable release and is not suitable for daily use.
Unable to post screenshots as the phone reboots at the moment when we try to take screenshots.