When Google releases a new version of Android, a lot of users turn to custom ROMs to get a taste of it before an OTA update arrives, if it ever does.
Usually, this is the case for low and mid range devices, who never get an OS update.
Recently, we have seen a lot of Android OEMs, pushing out updates for their phones and tablets. Now Xolo have taken that one step further and have published a beta version of Android KitKat for the Xolo Q700S.
A beta OS update from an OEM ? This is unbelievable. I hope other manufacturers take the cue and follow.
The phone was launched earlier this year, with Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, and will receive an update to Android 4.4 KitKat soon. You can head over to the official project page to download the files.
How to upgrade the Xolo Q700S to Android KitKat:
Note: Please backup all your data before trying this.
- Download the update.zip from here. (version S004 is 384 mb in size)
- Copy the file to your phone’s memory.
- Open the Xolo Care app.
- Tap on the ‘UPDATE’ tab, and then on ‘Check for software update’.
- It should recognise the update.zip which you copied to the phone, select it and tap on continue.
- Once the update process is complete, your phone will boot into Android 4.4 KitKat.
You can report the bugs you find at the project’s page.