Earlier today, I flashed the leaked factory image of Android 5.0 Lollipop on my Nexus 7 2012 WiFi tablet.
I wanted to transfer some files to it, and when I opened Windows Explorer, I noticed that the device’s maximum available storage was just 6 GB.
This was on a 16 GB variant, so obviously something was wrong here. I checked the Nexus 7’s storage using the built in option from settings and found that it too was reporting it incorrectly.
How to fix incorrect storage on Nexus 7:
[Note: This will erase all data stored on your tablet]
1. Charge your tablet to a minimum of 25%
2. Power off the device.
3. Press and hold the key combo of Volume Up and Power till you see the Start button.
4. Press Volume down and select Recovery Mode, and press the power button. You will see a dead Android on the screen.
5. Hold down the power button and press the volume up button to enter the recovery menu.
6. Use Volume up or down to navigate and highlight “Wipe data/Factory Reset, and then confirm the process by highlighting Yes and press the power button.
7. Reboot the device
It will take 5-6 minutes for the device to boot , don’t worry it’s normal, as it is building up the cache required for the OS to run.