The Lollipop update for the Moto G 2014 has begun rolling out for the unlocked Single SIM variant in the U.S.
But if you cannot wait for it, here is how you can install it manually.
Disclaimer: This firmware update is for the XT 1064 Single SIM unlocked variant of the Moto G 2014. Do not attempt to install this on the first gen Moto G, you could end up bricking your device.
How to install the Android 5.0 Lollipop update on the Moto G 2014 XT 1064
1. Download the firmware update from here. Please ensure that the MD5 checksum value of your downloaded file matches the one on the server.
2. Copy it to your phone’s internal memory.
3. Charge your phone to 100%, and power it off.
4. Hold the Volume down + Power buttons to enter boot mode.
5. Press the volume down button and highlight “Recovery”, and press the volume up button to enter it.
6. Hold down the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons, and press and release the Power button.
7. Now the phone is in recovery mode, select “apply update from SD Card”
8. Select the downloaded file (“Blur_Version.21.11.17.titan_retuaws.retuaws.en.US.zip”), and press the Power button to update it.
9. Wait for the process to complete, and once it is done, you can reboot the device.
10. The first boot will take quite a while to complete, since the phone will be converting the app cache from Dalvik to ART.
Check out these pictures of the Moto G 1st Gen’s recovery mode, it is similar to the one on the 2nd Gen phones.