One of the most popular photo sharing iOS apps, Instagram to create and share beautiful photos is finally available for Android platform. This much awaited release is announced in a blog post by Instagram. The Android comes comes as a free App and available for download in Google Play store. This release supports Android versions 2.2 and above. The Android app comes with the exact same filters & algorithms as iOS app version and familiar experience.
- 100% free custom designed filters and borders
- Lux works its magic by making your photos more vibrant and brings out details in your photos you couldn’t see before
- Instant sharing to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Foursquare (Flickr coming very soon)
- Interact with friends through giving & receiving likes and comments
- Works with Android versions 2.2 and above that support OpenGL ES 2
- Full front & back camera support
The reason behind supporting Phones only with Android version 2.2 and above only being that the Phones older than 2.2 without OpenGL ES 2 don’t have the technology required to power Instagram’s filters.
For those of you who are wondering about what OpenGL ES 2 and how it is related to Instagram, here is a brief explanation from the FAQ.
OpenGL ES 2 is a special graphics processing language that exists on modern-day devices. We use this language and your phone’s GPU to make our filters fast an efficient, and therefore it’s required to run Instagram.
This first release of Instagram on Android still lacks some of the capabilities of its iOS counterpart e.gTilt Shift / Blur, Share from Feed, Live Preview & Share to Flickr etc and no tablet support at the moment. Hopefully, these features will be coming in future releases. Also, it supports a maximum resolution of 2048×2048, limited by the manufacturer’s camera and available application memory.