Xiaomi Redmi S2 was launched in China few days back. It seems that the company is planning to launch it as Redmi Y2 in India at a launch event on June 7. Xiaomi has started teasing about the launch from its social media chennels such as Facebook which comes with a tagline “The RealYou Smartphone is Coming” which in fact appears like teasing the upcoming Oppo Real 1 smartphone.
“Every step in your life is defined by a selfie. Find yourself, #FindYourSelfie. The BEST selfie smartphone is arriving soon.”
Every step in your life is defined by a selfie. Find yourself, #FindYourSelfie
The BEST selfie smartphone is arriving soon. pic.twitter.com/OeQaSAI4TZ
— Redmi India (@RedmiIndia) May 14, 2018
Even though the company has not specified the name of the device, it appears that it will be the next iteration of Redmi Y i.e. Redmi Y2 (You may have noticed Y in the tagline in the teaser image suggesting Redmi Y series device). We expect Redmi Y2 to be the rebranded Redmi S2 which was launched in China as a selfie smartphone.
Xiaomi Redmi S2 / Redmi Y2 specifications
- 5.99-inch HD+ (1440 × 720 pixels) 18:9 2.5D curved glass display
- 2GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 625 Mobile Platform with Adreno 506 GPU
- 3GB RAM + 32GB ROM/ 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM, expandable up to 256GB with microSD
- Android 8.1 (Oreo) with MIUI 9
- Dual SIM (nano + nano, dedicated microSD slot), Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- 12MP main rear camera with LED Flash, PDAF, f/2.2 aperture + secondary 5MP camera
- 16MP front-shooter with LED flash
- Dimensions: 160.73 × 77.26 × 8.1mm
- Weight: 170g
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS
- 3080mAh battery
Xiaomi Redmi S2 in China is available in Rose gold, Champagne Gold and Platinum Silver color options. It is priced at 999 yuan (~US$ 160 / Rs. 10,000) for the 3GB RAM + 32GB storage variant while the 4GB RAM + 64GB storage variant costs 1299 yuan (~US$ 205 / Rs. 13,000). We expect the Indian pricing on similar lines, yet we need to wait for the official launch to know the exact price and variants.