Few weeks back, we started covering Ice Cream Sandwich ICS port for LG P500 and we talked about how to install the Custom ICS ROM. The ICS ROM started with a Alpha version with many bugs and other issues. At the moment of writing this post, the Custom ICS ROM based on Cyanogenmod 9 has reached almost a working version and can be used as a daily ROM by anyone. One of the biggest issues with the ROM was non-working Camera and issues with videos. But finally, thanks to efforts of developers like hephappy , _Arjen_ & lupohirp, we now have almost a completely working ROM for LG P500 with ICS 4.0.4.
- Camera including preview with all settings like exposure, Zoom, White Balance and every other thing (credit to lupohirp)
- Full H/W acceleration
- Funny SIM (128k USIMs)
- Calls, SMS, MMS, 3G/2G data, Mobile data
- Wireless, Bluetooth, Bluetooth tethering
- Data limit, IPv4, IPv6
- Stereo audio, headset
- GPS, Sensors, Lights, Touch screen
- USB Mass storage, USB debugging
- Browser, GMail, Google Play store
What doesn’t work
- Wifi tethering & USB tethering
- Offline charging
- Your Phone must be rooted.
- You must have Custom recovery installed on your Phone e.g. ClockworkMod or AmonRa.
- You must be on New Baseband. (If you are on old baseband and flash this ROM, your Phone Network will not work.)
Files needed for Installation (File links will be updated with each release)
ICS 4.0.4 ROM FOR LG P500:
cm-9.0.0-TINYLIGHT-HEPHAPPY-p500.zip (26 Jun 2012 release)
Update: Hehappy has stopped supporting this ROM and has removed the downloadlinks too. Instead you can download and use the Cyanogenmod 9, Android ICS 4.0.4, CAF Kernel ROM nightlies, thanks to _Arjen_ .
Google Apps : gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
STABLE 4 (TINYLIGHT) "You will have 13MB free space on system after installed rom+gapps" 26 Jun 2012 Fix volume in speakerphone mode Remove unsupported mtp & ptp functions (no need to delete any driver anymore) Add smartass2 governor and use it as default Latest updates from v20D-INDIA (sensors & backlight) Move CMWallpapers(7MB) to extras Trebuchet changes: - Reduced to 4MB, removed color banded wallwapers - Infinite/Loop homescreen scrolling - Defaults: Turn off search bar, resize any widgets, don't join with widgets STABLE 3 (BLUEPILL) 21 Jun 2012 Back to official GCC 4.4.3 toolchain. Linaro GCC 4.7.1 have many bugs Remove support for off-mode charging Fix color banding TEST BUILD (REDPILL) 19 Jun 2012 Full linaro build Use open source libagl Get 18MB free space (To install removed packages, see extras folder in zip) STABLE 2 (PREMATURE) 7 Jun 2012 Fix wi-fi tethering Fix deep sleep (guilty: bluetooth) Get rid of init logo New boot animation which is only 200KB CM9 Lock screen calendar CM9 New screen on/off animation Allow interfaces to get IPv6 address when tethering is enabled Fix BT tether IP renew issue Recent LCD Patch which saves power STABLE 1 (CHARGEME) 29 May 2012 Add support for off-mode charging Improve sd-card write performance Backport usb drivers from 3.0 kernel Add support for native usb tethering Fix BT sleep/awake issue which causes battery drain Lockscreen weather MILESTONE 2 (Love Me) 18 May 2012 New pre-boot logo (CID) Fix MMC card detection. You can disable ADB and works on windows/linux hosts. Backport memory manager from 3.0 Backport lowmemorykiller from 3.4 kernel MILESTONE 1 (4 wise monkeys: Mizaru, Kikazaru, Iwazaru and Shizaru) "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" 11 May 2012 Fix video recording, saves in mp4 format and you can watch in MX Player Add power profile and fix battery history (asdfzz) Add support for barcode scanner applications (rapmv78) CM9 Theme engine CM9 Wallpapers CM9 Lockscreen shortcuts
Put the files on your SD Card’s main folder for easy navigation since the recovery mode is tough to navigate with hard keys.
- Boot your phone into your recovery Mode using your existing ROM option using Power button (if it has) or by holding VOL DOWN + HOME + POWER keys.
- After you boot in recovery mode, use your Volume key at right side of phone to scroll up and down. You need to clear few settings and Cache before you can flash to your phone to the new ROM.
- Clear user Data/factory reset>> Clear/wipe Cache >> clear Dalvik Cache. Dalvik cache option comes under advance options in recovery mode.
- After this choose install zip from SDcard option.
- Select the ICS 4.0.4 ROM FOR LG P500 (the same file that you just downloaded above) to install – your ROM will begin to install.
- Once installed press the back button few times to go back to the main screen of Clockwork Recovery.Choose reboot system now.
- to install GApps, you need to reboot again and flash the zip file.
My Experience with this ROM
I am using this ROM on my P500 and I am loving it. I would love to hear some feedback from those of you who are going to install this ROM. I am not facing any issues with this ROM which were present during earlier versions of this ROM like reboots, forced closing of apps and other bugs.
I checked the graphics performance with Neocore App and got a impressive 54.5 FPS result. When we started testing the alpha version of this ICS ROM, I was getting a FPS score of just around 38-40 FPS.
The Camera at least for me works much better when it worked on the Stock ROM with Gingerbread. I have never taken so many pictures with the P500 Camera as I am clicking these days.
Battery Life too is great. With all my usage of twitter, Gmail all day that includes push notifications, I am able to use the Phone without charging for more than one day. If you just install a battery saving App like Battery defender, the battery works for almost 2 days.